When it comes to graphing and comparing functions, the TI-83 graphing calculator is the end-all device for math and science students. But one of the most entertaining aspects of Texas Instruments' powerful algebraic and trigonometric calculator is not the equations themselves, but rather the art that can be "equated" on them—just think of them as the mathematical equivalent of the Etch A Sketch.
The highlighted TI-83 art of today: Mario.
If you're familiar with graphing calculators, you may already be aware of all the Super Mario Brothers games you can play on your TI-83 (available here), but plotting Mario's face in your calculator with just the right functions is perhaps more satisfying than playing all the old 8-bit games.
To draw Mario's face in your own calculator, just use the code below (thanks to Redditor kaidance).
And if you're curious how this works, Redditor paolog explains the formula: "The formula is one that decodes a number into an image, the image is a simple bit-mapped version of the formula, and the number is obtained by encoding the image."
Can you design a more complex image on your TI-83 calculator?
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades